iOne Digital (ionedigital.com) is powered by the mission to create an online community that provides rich content and digital products that engage, entertain and inspire the lives of African Americans.
We are the #1 digital platform for the Multi-Cultural Millennials, reaching millions of users each month through a suite of content, social, and local radio offerings. iOne owns and operates a number of branded destinations, including HipHopWired (Hip Hop x Technology),GlobalGrind (Millennials), HelloBeautiful (Women), MadameNoire (Women’s Lifestyle), NewsOne (Affluent), Bossip (Celebrity News & Gossip) and TheUrbanDaily (Men), as well as social networking sites such as BlackPlanet, and more than 50 local radio sites and the digital sites for cable TV networks TVONE and CLEOTV. iOne Digital was launched in 2008 by Radio One, Inc. [NASDAQ: ROIA and ROIAK, radio-one.com] to complement its existing portfolio of media companies targeting Black Americans.
The successful candidate for the position will demonstrate a readiness to design, implement, and deliver a scalable and high performance technology stack on WordPress VIP, WP Engine and other hosting solutions, including valuable new publishing tools that support iOne’s business goals and needs. First and foremost, the candidate needs to be enthusiastic and talented in developing solutions for WordPress and other iOne technical platforms.
The successful candidate should be a constant seeker of innovation, a regular reader of tech news & technique, and a promoter of the company’s prominence in the “big media” digital arena, attending WordCamps, VIP events, and wherever possible contributing to the WordPress community, including open-sourcing of innovations, guided by company strategy.
- Manage a team of developers including internal and external resources
- Own, direct and maintain iOne’s proprietary Wordpress VIP themes and other platform initiatives
- Central management of iOne technical architecture, including integrated ad technologies
- Collaborate with other Wordpress VIP publishers to contribute open source solutions which benefit iOne and other VIP publishers
- Maintain a current understanding of relevant technologies as they arise and leverage them in providing innovative solutions
- Develop solutions for all leading display resolutions via a responsive design approach that accounts for mobile handset and tablet user interfaces, as well as pioneering native app options for more immersive and fast consumption of content.
- Annotate and document code consistently and coherently.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to support availability of the media products that drive iOne’s 24x7 news business.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Easy adaptation to WordPress VIP’s development best practices and standards, and general working camaraderie with VIP engineers.
- Strong familiarity with Git and SVN repositories
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment or work independently
- Ability to follow direction, eagerly absorb and adapt to constructive feedback, and remain open to the ideas of others
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Presence in the WordPress Community
- Can-do spirit
- 2-4 years or more of professional experience or as a web developer
- Experience developing websites using XHTML for structure and CSS for style
- Experience with PHP
- Familiarity with mobile web development
- Experience building custom WordPress themes and plug-ins and using the WordPress API
- Familiarity or Experience with WordPress VIP, a strong plus
- B.A. or B.S. Degree
- Strong candidates with significant work experience but no formal education will also be considered.
COMPANY CORE VALUES:
- We believe in ideas that matter. To our clients. To the audiences we serve. To us. We don't care about the size of the idea as long as it makes a meaningful difference.
- We challenge everything. No thought. N o point of view. No industry convention. Nothing is off limits. No idea is too great to be challenged when it comes to exploring ways to make things better.
- We have high expectations. We require the most out of each other because we know that the highest levels of achievement cannot take place without the highest levels of expectations.
- We take risks. Not any risks, but smart risks. The type of risks that can propel us to new heights. We embrace failure as long as we are aiming for the mountaintops and finding new lessons in the instances where we happen to fall short.
- We are humble giants. We are the best at what we do without the cockiness to go along with it. We are nice people who sit confidently at the top of our craft. To us, actions will always speak louder than words.
- We take care. Of our responsibilities. Of the work. Of our reputation. And most of all, of each other. Beyond being accountable, we are committed to never let each other fail. We partner until the work tells us it’s done. No agenda is higher than the one uniting us all.