Interactive One (www.interactiveone.com) is powered by the mission to create an online community that provides rich content and digital products that engage, entertain and inspire the lives of African Americans.
We are the #1 digital platform for the Multi-Cultural Millennials, reaching millions of users each month through a suite of content, social, and local radio offerings. iOne owns and operates a number of branded destinations, including HipHopWired (Hip Hop x Technology),GlobalGrind (Millennials), HelloBeautiful (Women), MadameNoire (Women’s Lifestyle), NewsOne (Affluent), Bossip (Celebrity News & Gossip) and TheUrbanDaily (Men), as well as social networking sites such as BlackPlanet, and more than 50 local radio sites. Interactive One was launched in 2008 by Radio One, Inc. [NASDAQ: ROIA and ROIAK, radio-one.com] to complement its existing portfolio of media companies targeting Black Americans.
The Sales Director will oversee all sales-related processes within given territory; responding to requests for proposals; negotiating and executing insertion orders; working with integrated marketing department; collaborating with client services and ad operations to oversee trafficking and campaign launches; helping to optimize performance and delivery when necessary. As the Sales Director you will be responsible for generating sales across iOne Digital's portfolio of digital publishing assets and executing the company’s sales strategy.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in effective prospecting, generating new business, growing accounts, managing all aspects of the sales cycle, and a proven track record of closing large custom deals in the political and government sectors. The Sales Director must be well versed and experienced in digital ad sales, with extensive knowledge in political and government affairs. Since iOne Digital creates content that is distributed across multiple platforms (e.g. primarily Social & Digital, but also TV, Radio and Experiential), a strong capability to sell creative concepts and ideas is a must. The candidate must be comfortable working at high levels at clients and agencies.
- Identify and generate new sales leads through effective prospecting –including competitive analysis, data analysis and industry trends.
- Responsible for building a growing portfolio of government clients at the city, county, state, local and federal level in key regions.
- Sell digital solutions to direct accounts and advertising agencies specializing in, but not limited to, political and advocacy advertising.
- Build, maintain and manage a sales pipeline to provide accurate planning, forecasting and reporting of pacing to monthly, quarterly and annual goals.
- Manage all aspects of the sales cycle – from initial client contact to campaign implementation.
- Lead the internal sales process including guiding marketing, planning and account management to develop the best possible solutions.
- Prospect and develop key senior level ad agency and company relationships in order to effectively build ad revenue vs. budget.
- Prepare and present marketing proposals utilizing qualitative and quantitative research to help campaigns meet their goals.
- Leverage existing relationships with political agencies, organizations and stakeholders across the aisle.
- Work closely with the VP of Business Development and VP of Political and Government Affairs to develop a strategy to achieve growth goals and book of business in political and government category.
- Take leadership on influencing products, solutions and communication.
- Execute FCC rules and regulations surrounding political broadcast advertising.
- Utilize Salesforce or other CRM to record all sales activity (e.g. meetings, emails, calls) and revenue reporting.
- Actively contribute marketing expertise and strategy to support the development of public education, media campaigns, and RFP requests.
- Fully manage the implementation of government contracts upon award.
- Possess excellent written, communication and presentation skills.
- Thrive in a creative business environment and maintain a positive demeanor.
- Lead the team by example – via work intensity, strong command of the product and the advertising/marketing process.
- Participate in industry events and conferences.
- Stay abreast of market knowledge.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Maintain accurate sales forecast
- Proficiency and MS PowerPoint and MS Excel
- Experience with Salesforce.com or other CRM a plus.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Ability to work independently, while being open to direction and guidance
- Proven track record of closing large, custom deals with a keen focus on branded and sponsored content
- Government marketing and procurement knowledge
- Strong knowledge as it relates to the upcoming 2020 election
- Motivated, self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic
- Creative, marketing-oriented media seller with a passion for what the Internet can bring to blue-chip advertisers
- Excellent written, communication skills, negotiation, persuasion, closing, presentation and follow-up skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to travel
- Experience working with an African American or multicultural product
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Good analytical skills in both understanding marketers objectives and analyzing campaign performance
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of digital ad sales experience
- An additional 2-4 years of traditional media sales or agency experience -- print, radio, broadcast, cable, etc, or marketing position
COMPANY CORE VALUES:
- We believe in ideas that matter. To our clients. To the audiences we serve. To us. We don't care about the size of the idea as long as it makes a meaningful difference.
- We challenge everything. No thought. No point of view. No industry convention. Nothing is off limits. No idea is too great to be challenged when it comes to exploring ways to make things better.
- We have high expectations. We require the most out of each other because we know that the highest levels of achievement cannot take place without the highest levels of expectations.
- We take risks. Not any risks, but smart risks. The type of risks that can propel us to new heights. We embrace failure as long as we are aiming for the mountaintops and finding new lessons in the instances where we happen to fall short.
- We are humble giants. We are the best at what we do without the cockiness to go along with it. We are nice people who sit confidently at the top of our craft. To us, actions will always speak louder than words.
- We take care. Of our responsibilities. Of the work. Of our reputation. And most of all, of each other. Beyond being accountable, we are committed to never let each other fail. We partner until the work tells us it’s done. No agenda is higher than the one uniting us all.