Interactive One (www.interactiveone.com) is powered by the mission to create an online community that provides rich content and digital products that engage, entertain and inspire the lives of African Americans.
We are the #1 digital platform for the Multi-Cultural Millennials, reaching millions of users each month through a suite of content, social, and local radio offerings. iOne owns and operates a number of branded destinations, including HipHopWired (Hip Hop x Technology),GlobalGrind (Millennials), HelloBeautiful (Women), MadameNoire (Women’s Lifestyle), NewsOne (Affluent), Bossip (Celebrity News & Gossip) and TheUrbanDaily (Men), as well as social networking sites such as BlackPlanet, and more than 50 local radio sites. Interactive One was launched in 2008 by Radio One, Inc. [NASDAQ: ROIA and ROIAK, radio-one.com] to complement its existing portfolio of media companies targeting Black Americans.
The Senior Director, Content is hyper-focused on quality of voice and the implementation of editorial strategy for all of iOne’s national brands, maintaining calendars, as well as recruiting and editing a roster of top-notch contributors. The primary role of the Senior Director is to expand the reach and profile of our brands, ensuring the production of daily engaging content, as well as features, tent poles and key editorial franchises. S/he will work with the SVP, Content to help craft editorial strategy and budget, as well as brainstorm new ideas for our brands. The Senior Director possesses the highest standards of journalistic quality and is dedicated to implementing them across our sites. The role is equal parts creative and analytical with extensive experience in growing and developing content creators. This role is committed to telling intriguing stories and building strong, enduring brands that are both engaging and effectively serve our audiences.
The Senior Director will be responsible for ensuring maximum team productivity, quality and engagement across our national brands.
The successful candidate is an experienced leader but still likes to get his/her hands dirty with content creation and the creative development process. S/he is up-to-date with the latest technologies and what’s trending, possesses a genuine passion for our brands and their passion points, authentic connection with the brands’ audience, and will inspire authentic enthusiasm for creativity and innovation.
This role reports directly to SVP, Content.
- Develops and oversees content franchises, tent poles, series, columns and other editorial packages across iOne’s multiple lifestyle and news brands
- Maintains a daily cadence of highly engaging, quality content across brands, including trending, breaking, feature and evergreen content
- Works directly with SVP, Content to manage a global editorial calendar, as well as quarterly, monthly and weekly site content plans to develop synergy across brands
- Recruits, manages and develops a roster of contributors to enhance iOne’s brand profile and create engaging, shareable editorial content
- Works directly with the SVP, Content and editorial leads to develop, execute and refine content strategy for iOne’s portfolio of national brands
- Manages and helps refine brand style guide for iOne’s national brands and platforms, working closely with department leads to ensure high standards are met daily
- Works closely with audience development team and content leadership to grow traffic across all brands
- Assists with the daily editing of features, profiles and other longform editorial content, ensuring quality of voice is present in all pieces
- Works with leadership to develop content plans around key cultural events and top stories throughout the year
- Manages planning and coordinating budgets across all content properties
- Instills a continued culture of collaboration and communication among editorial team, as well as interdepartmental contacts including sales, marketing, video, social media, ad-ops and other key players
- Complies with Network and Urban One’s mandatory trainings and adheres to related course deadlines
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Must be comfortable in a start-up environment
- A keen ability to network with writers, publicity teams, cultural and public figures
- Known for transparent and collaborative leadership style, exceptional ability to recruit top talent, and passionate about developing high-performance teams
- A direct and dedicated leader who drives company priorities and leads teams to seek creative solutions and work toward a shared vision
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with a strong orientation toward data-driven decision making
- Be a digital visionary
- Must be an inherently flexible, team player
- Be able to travel for work when needed
- BA or BFA preferred
- 12 years’ experience journalism, copywriting, communication, and content development.
- Ability to work with a variety of people in various disciplines.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Extensive list of relevant collaborators and contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and direct a team to include but not limited to:
- Provide regular constructive feedback
- Resolve issues/conflicts with diplomacy in a timely manner
- Provide on-going guidance and support for growth and development
- Deploy effective coaching skills
- Practical understanding of anti-harassment and discrimination laws
- Ability to effectively administer performance reviews, and corrective action plans as appropriate
- Ensure team (s) attend mandatory department and/or mandatory company training (s) as required
COMPANY CORE VALUES:
- We believe in ideas that matter. To our clients. To the audiences we serve. To us. We don't care about the size of the idea as long as it makes a meaningful difference.
- We challenge everything. No thought. No point of view. No industry convention. Nothing is off limits. No idea is too great to be challenged when it comes to exploring ways to make things better.
- We have high expectations. We require the most out of each other because we know that the highest levels of achievement cannot take place without the highest levels of expectations.
- We take risks. Not any risks, but smart risks. The type of risks that can propel us to new heights. We embrace failure as long as we are aiming for the mountaintops and finding new lessons in the instances where we happen to fall short.
- We are humble giants. We are the best at what we do without the cockiness to go along with it. We are nice people who sit confidently at the top of our craft. To us, actions will always speak louder than words.
- We take care. Of our responsibilities. Of the work. Of our reputation. And most of all, of each other. Beyond being accountable, we are committed to never let each other fail. We partner until the work tells us it’s done. No agenda is higher than the one uniting us all.