Working Title: Human Resources Assistant Director
Location: 400 South Fort Harrison Avenue, Clearwater, FL 33756
Open Until Filled
A place where everyone wants to work. It’s the mission of Pinellas County Human Resources to cultivate a diverse, talented and engaged workforce of 3,000+ employees under Pinellas County’s centralized Unified Personnel System (UPS). The UPS is comprised of ten different members or “Appointing Authorities,” including Business Technology Services, Clerk of the Circuit Court, County Administrator, County Attorney, Human Resources, Human Rights, Forward Pinellas, Property Appraiser, Supervisor of Elections and Tax Collector.
Currently, we are seeking an Assistant Director of Human Resources to play a key strategic role on our 35+ member team. With a passion for employee engagement and expertise in performance management, this individual will be responsible for two or more areas of expertise including: Workforce Strategy, Employee Relations, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Compensation & Classification, Benefits & Wellness, HR Information Systems & Records Administration, Organizational & Talent Development, and Communications & Outreach.
We offer an excellent benefits package to our employees including competitive pay, health insurance and tuition reimbursement, to name just a few. Our vision is to provide a workplace where our employees are proud of their work serving Pinellas County citizens. We offer a wide variety of benefits.
Relocation assistance is available and for additional information about this opportunity, Pinellas County Government and the local area, download our Assistant Director brochure.
Position Specific Requirements
Experience – professional human resource management experience that includes 2 years of supervising professionals implementing two or more major human resource areas of responsibility and experience in the following areas:
- Establishing and reviewing key strategic priorities and translating them into actionable and quantitative plans.
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships throughout the organization, serving as a credible consultant in strategic and tactical approaches for handling HR matters.
- Planning and supervising the activities of assigned staff and programs.
- Assuming responsibility for the department in the absence of the Human Resources Director.
- Formulating and recommending administrative policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Administering and interpreting personnel policies, rules and regulations to officials, supervisors and employees.
- Conducting and overseeing internal investigations into employee performance or behavior, including but not limited to alleged harassment, discrimination or other inappropriate conduct.
- Participating in preparation of the department budget and monitoring expenditures.
Education – degree with major coursework in business, public administration, human resources, or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree as described above, and 4 years of experience as described above; or
- Master’s degree as described above, and 2 years of experience as described above; or
- Equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Must be able to travel to frequent meetings held in a variety of locations across the County.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Coaching, counseling and supporting employees at all levels of the organization in the attainment of business objectives.
- Data-driven decision capability.
- Needs analysis, decision and implementation of HRIS systems.
- Effective change management.
Below is a preview of the supplemental questions you will have to answer during the application process.
What is your minimum starting salary requirement?
Of the following, which statement matches your education and work experience listed under "Position Specific Requirements" in the posting?
1 = I possess at least 8 years of experience as described in the posting.
2 = I possess an Associate degree as described in the posting, and at least 6 years of experience as described in the posting.
3 = I possess a Bachelor’s degree as described in the posting, and at least 4 years of experience as described in the posting.
4 = I possess a Master’s degree as described in the posting, and at least 2 years of experience as described in the posting.
5 = None of the above.
Please explain your selection above in terms of your education and years of professional experience. Please also indicate which of the bulleted areas from the posting you have the most and least amount of experience.
This position is required to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations. Are you willing and able to fulfill this requirement?
Please describe the initiatives you’ve introduced to influence employee engagement in your organization(s). What was the outcome and how was this measured?
Please describe your personal involvement in your organization’s response to COVID-19. What are some of the takeaways you have had from those decisions?
Please describe any innovative approaches you have introduced to your organization regarding performance management.
Please describe the most significant and recent HR program you implemented. Be sure to include details around when the program started, what the issues were, how goals/outcomes were tracked, and what your specific role was?